HISTORY OF THE TARRYTOWNS
by Jeff Canning and Wally Buxton
From Chapter 15--"Time Out for Fun":
"Hill Crest Theater, nicknamed `the beautiful,' was opened at 57 Main Street, October 20, 1915 by Leslie B. Van Scoy of Brooklyn. The theater, billed as entirely fireproof and tornadoproof, was the first in Westchester to have an inclined floor. The walls were covered heavily with artificial roses and vines.
A large suffrage rally opened the theater. The Christ Church Sentinels, under the direction of Sergeant James Taxter, marched to the theater to act as door guard, followed by the Junior Order of United American Mechanics band. Former Police Commissioner Creel of Denver spoke. Opening-night music was provided by the Wurlitzer Orchestra, an eight-piece group that made several records and was considered one of the state's top orchestras. . . .Hill Crest's first movie was The Virginian, a two-hour Paramount picture starring Dustin Farnum."
This is the first comprehensive history of Tarrytown and North Tarrytown. It examines the last 150 years in special detail.
The authors are newspapermen: Jeff Canning, a Tarrytown native, is with Gannett Westchester Papers; Wally Buxton (whose real name was William C. Gross) died in 1993. He was a columnist for the Daily News and for Martinelli Publications in Yonkers.
384 pages, illustrated, 6 x 9, index, 1975, third printing, 1993
$24.95 paperback--A Purple Mountain Press-Harbor Hill original