A LINK IN THE GREAT CHAIN
A HISORY OF THE CHEMUNG CANAL
by Gary Emerson
Co-published with the Chemung County Historical Society
From 1833 to 1878, the Chemung Canal served as one of the lateral canals in New York State providing access to the Erie Canal through the Cayuga and Seneca Canal. The Chemung Canal connected the Chemung River in Elmira to Seneca Lake at Watkins Glen. A navigatable feeder supplied water to the canal from the Chemung River near Corning. Although the canal had a short life, it did a great deal to change the landscape and the economy of the local area as part of the great chain of canlas that once criss-crossed New York State.
Gary Emerson teaches American history at Newfield Central School in Newfield, NY. He received MAs in History from St. Bonaventure and Binghamton Universities.
100 pages, illustrated, 7 x 10, 2005
$12.50 paperback--A Purple Mountain Press original
Copyright © 2005 Purple Mountain Press. All rights reserved.